September 11, 2020
Today marks the 19th anniversary of the deadliest terrorist attack in US History, with nearly 3,000 Americans killed and 25,000 injured on 9/11/2001. Please take a moment to remember those lost on this day.
It is much more of a challenge to keep students on task when they are not in the building with us, so please be a partner with us in that effort. Check your child's progress in Infinite Campus Portal, or check your email for weekly updates if your child is working in Edgenuity. We want everyone to be on track and ready to go when we return to in person instruction (9/28). If you need assistance in accessing those tools, please call the school at 477-3255. (you can also see the Edgenuity note below)
Return to football
Tonight's football game will be very limited attendance as we reopen with guidelines from the KHSAA, the CDC, the North Central Health Department and other organizations. Football players, band members, cheer and dance teams have all been given vouchers to give to their family. A voucher will be necessary to purchase a ticket at the gate - no walk up ticket sales without a voucher will occur. Everyone entering the facility will be screened for COVID symptoms, and will be required to wear a mask at all times.
If you don't have a voucher to buy a ticket, check out the live stream of the game here.
We are thrilled to announce that SCHS has a full time nurse now, Ms. Jessica Sullivan. It is doubly important to have this great resource with us during the pandemic. Welcome to the Bear Family, Nurse Jessica!
Here are her notes for the week:
- If your student has turned 16 and has not had a second Meningococcal vaccine (the first was at 11 years old), please make an appointment with your primary care provider to receive the immunization, or complete a religious declination form (must be notarized). Immunization certificates can be faxed to the school or brought in in person.
- If you have not completed a consent for school health services form or parental assurance form, these are required. Please complete and return as soon as possible. These forms can be found on the Spencer County web page, click "departments", then "health". The Covid-19 parental assurance form can be found in the center of the page under "health resources". The consent for school health services can be found on the health page, on the right-hand side under "links", click on "medical forms" and you will find it on the next page.
- If your student will need a medication given at school, please be sure to have a medical provider complete the permission form for prescribed or over the counter medications. This can be found on the Spencer County web page, click "departments", then "health", it will be on the right-hand side.
- Please be aware Tylenol/Ibuprofen/Aleve will not be permitted for headaches this year unless we also have a note from a medical provider stating that your student has a chronic issue (ex: migraines). This is due to these medications possibly masking symptoms of Covid-19.
- If your student needs a care plan such as: Allergy Care Plan, Asthma Care Plan, or Seizure Care Plan, these forms can be found on the Spencer County web page, click "departments", then "health", the care plans will be on the right-hand side. These must be signed by a parent/guardian as well as the physician.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the school and speak with the nurse, or email her at Jessica.Sullivan@spencer.kyschools.us
Parental Assurance Forms
Please be sure to fill out the Parental Assurance form prior to our return to school. This form must be on file in the school before your child can resume in person schooling.
This form will also be coming via One Call, and you only need to complete it once.
Minority Parent Election
Spencer County High School has been informed that due to an increase in minority student population, a special election must take place to elect a minority parent representative to be included on our school Site Based Decision Making Council. According to KRS 160.345(1)(a), minority is defined as “American Indian; Alaskan native; African-American; Hispanic, including persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Central- or South-American origins; Pacific Islander; or other ethnic group underrepresented in the school”. If you are interested in serving, you may nominate yourself or be nominated by others.
Nominations will be taken until 3 pm on September 18, 2020.
To nominate in person, please contact SBDM Secretary, Michele Stevens at Michele.email@example.com or (502) 477-3255.
You may also nominate online using this form.
Senior apparel is on sale now, go to following link to order:
All proceeds benefit Project Graduation. Be sure to stay updated with upcoming events on the Facebook page...
Bears in Overtime
Bears in Overtime virtual after-school tutoring and enrichment activities will start Monday, September 14 at 2:30.
Visit our site for more information!
Google Classroom code: 4sfuxrm
Remind: text @scovertime to 81010
Freshmen FFA Drive Thru:
Who: Any student enrolled in Mr. Dunaway or Mrs. Hamilton Introduction to Ag class.
What: Come get your FFA bag of goodies, photo opportunites, and sized for an FFA jacket!
When: Wednesday, September 16th 3-6 pm
Where: Parking lot outside of Ag Shop
We can't wait to meet you all!
We are making our cafeteria available for students who do not have internet access in their home. This is for short term student use - 2 hour blocks. This would be an opportunity for your student to watch videos, open or upload assignments, etc. This is not a full day option in order to comply with distancing orders and to ensure there are enough spaces for all who need it. The blocks are from 9 - 11 am, and from Noon - 2pm, sign up in the front office with Mr. Phillips or Ms. Noel. You can also call the school at 477-3255.
All Sophomore, Junior and Senior students not yet enrolled with Parchment.com will be receiving an invitation to join and set up your account. Parchment is an electronic document transfer service provided for all SCHS students free of charge while enrolled at SCHS. It is the best and official way of sending transcripts to colleges, universities, trade schools and employers. Please be looking for this invite and set up your account using the link provided in the email.
Meal pick-ups will be on Tuesday and Thursday. You may now pick up your child’s meal at any of the 4 schools from 10:00 – 2:00. Meals are now free for all children 18 and under but we are asking that you go to the school website and please sign up so we will know how many to prepare. If you have a transportation issue you may also sign up for home delivery. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 502-477-3255 and ask for Misty Bailey in the cafeteria.
The Project Graduation Boosters will have mum orders ready for pick up on Saturday September 12 from 3 to 7 pm in the high school parking lot facing Hwy 44. Join our Facebook page, SCHS class of 2021 parents and students, to stay informed on upcoming events.
Mr. Bruce can help with Edgenuity issues - email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
He has also produced a helpful video for successful distance learning; check that out here.
Check out our school website for upcoming events, news and much more!
Have a great weekend!